'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #23

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog; Broke and Bookish. This weeks is : Top Ten books that I find most intimidating. There are so many intimidating books, whether it's due to size, popularity, era that it was written. Here's my list:

War & Peace
A book that I definitely want to read but the size is so intimidating!
Ulysses
I had to read this book as part of a second year module on Modernism. It was incredibly difficult and I could not make my way through it. Perhaps now that I'm a few years older it might be easier?
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
Such an incredibly well loved series, I am terrified of attempting to read this because of my opinion of the films!
The Scarlet Letter
Funnily enough, my first reference to this book was in the film Easy A!  It immediately caught my interest but I have been putting it off because of the fear of disappointment. 
The Casual Vacancy
I have this sat on my shelf all signed and everything, but I cannot bring myself to read it fully. I have read the first few chapters several times but it scares me since it's her first book following Potter!
Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
This was my first ever sci-fi read. It has major critical props and I was excited to read it. I didn't enjoy it. Thankfully I have found that I do love sci-fi. I may need to give this another go when it doesn't have to be studied.
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
The sheer popularity of this book is terrifying! I want to like it... but have yet to read it. 
Sexy Feminism: A Girl's Guide to Love, Success, and Style
I consider myself a feminist, but the caption at the front of this book worries. Am I going to get irritated or feel refreshed reading this?
Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter
A really fascinating woman, but this book really intimidates me because of its form.
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
This was one of the rare occasions where I saw the film before reading the book. I absolutely loved the film so am hoping the book is as good.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with the classics. I really want to read the Russian ones but I am actually scared :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone genuinely liked Ulysses....don't so it!!! ;) I love World War Z....but from what I've heard film is nothing like the book so just approach it as a different story and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ulysses, and even though some teachers did a great job explaining everything about the story and its various forms, I really don't feel like reading it. But Joyce without stream of consciousness is good, or at least I like Dubliners.
    I haven't read War and Peace (yet!), but I like Russian classics, especially Chekhov is amazing! They really aren't that scary. :)
    And I agree, the caption of Sexy Feminism is slightly alarming. It kind of suggests the typical prejudice that feminists are "unattractive old spinsters". Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I've been putting off Casual Vacancy for the same reasons. :) Popularity of a book can definitely be a deterrent.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love World War Z movie too. The 3D experience, seeing Brad Pitt up close, swoooon :D The book must be good. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post, looads of books intimidate me.
    I really want to read The Lord of the Rings series, but hear all about how much effort they are to read!
    The City of Bones film is nearly coming out so you must read it. Don't go in with high expectations, I wasn't taken with the world straight away but now I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! Loved that you said you first reference to The Scarlet Letter was Easy A. I love that movie! Mortal Instruments is one of my favorite series. I think the movie looks close to the book so you may be able to tell whether you'll like it based on that. The World War Z one though - I've read and reviewed the book. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I know from the trailer and from a friend that has read and watched the movie that they are two completely different stories. So I caution you on that one if you loved the movie...be sure and read reviews of the book before giving it a go because it is really different. Great post! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Casual Vacancy, and although it was NOTHING similar to HP, Rowling sure can weave you into a story. I would read it. TMI is a good series too, but I prefer TID of Clare's books. I DNF the Scarlet Letter, its not a difficult read, but I kept falling asleep and having no clue what was going on, so I gave up. (Also, that is the only book I have ever started and not finished since I turned about 17 that wasn't assigned in school) LOTR and W&P were on my list too. They are such huge commitments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The LotR is definitely intimidating, it took me a really long time to really get into it. I kept starting and then getting distracted by the long descriptions in the beginning. I finally bit the bullet though a few years ago and the more I kept reading the more addicted & invested I got! BUT then again, I enjoyed the films. But the books are better (of course hehe). I AM STILL intimidated by both Casual Vacancy and World War Z though o_O I feel like I'll love both but at the same time I'm terrified I won't LOL

    I really wanted to like City of Bones too, and I did like SOME things, but overall it was a letdown for me. I've kept reading though so I mean I obviously like some things, I just complain about a lot of other stuff too >.<

    Anyways, terrific list all around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I want to read War & Peace too. And Ulysses almost made its way onto my list. I'm not a fan of modernism per se, but I think it's a book people should probably experience. About LotR: if you love the movies, you should be happy by the books. They're longer and more detailed (sometimes unnecessarily) but the movies are SO faithful to the books that it makes me super happy. And I can see how The Casual Vacancy is intimidating in that regard. I liked it, but it's very different. I think you really do have to remind yourself that it's NOT HP and not supposed to be. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).