'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 26 July 2013

REVIEW: Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.
*ARC received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*
*May contain Throne of Glass spoilers*
I just. I cannot. I mean, what? This cannot have ended! Who knows how long until I can get my paws on the next one? The book isn't even out yet and I just need the next one RIGHT NOW. Honestly, it's a good job I don't do vlogs because this review would be full to the brim with stuttering and absolutely bewildered looks. Before I begin the inevitable gushing, I have to thank Bloomsbury soooo much for this ARC! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not only can I not wait for this book to come out in the shops, but I also cannot wait until October! Sarah J. Maas is going to be at the Bath Children's Literature festival and I've got my tickets all booked! Eeeeek. Right, book.

Wow. This world basically summarises this entire book. Throne of Glass was an addictive read, entirely unputdownable and just brilliant. I didn't think it possible but Crown of Midnight is so, sooo much better than the first book! I honestly do not know how to put into coherent sentences how much I loved this book. I finished the book, put it down and just sat for awhile. It was one of those harsh snap backs to reality and I was not happy to be back, sitting in a car on a two hour journey! Celaena captivated me, her events completely drew me in and I just couldn't get enough of the plot line which unfolded.

Picking up where it was left off in Throne of Glass, Celaena is now the King's Champion. She is an assassin whose task it is to kill all those that she is ordered to. Nothing is this straight forward however. Wyrdmarks are still one of the key worries that haunts Celaena, and her duties as an assassin are not quite as straightforward as they should be. This book truly shows the strength but also the flaws of our favourite assassin and I absolutely love this. Celaena, a woman that does not do well taking orders, continues to endanger her life further with each decision she makes, making for an incredibly addictive and compelling read.

This one of the rare series in which a love triangle is not an issue. I love seeing the tension and emotion that circles Celaena, Chaol and Dorian. It isn't a dominating love triangle but they're friendships and relationships are so incredibly important to the series. Depicting loyalty, love and true friendship it makes for such a beautiful read. I also love Nehemia. I really cannot get enough of her. She is such a brilliant character; a strong woman fighting for the freedom of her people. 

Crown of Midnight is so much darker than Throne of Glass. The King's secret powers are strengthening day by day and Celaena begins to unravel the mysteries surrounding the King, Perrington and Roland (Dorian's cousin). There are twists and turns, some absolutely painful losses to read about and it takes you on such an emotional rollercoaster that you feel exhausted once finished. I cannot get enough of this series. Maas' writing is phenomenol and her world building is entirely captivating. Bring on book three!

7 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAAAAH! IM SO JEALOUS!! </3 great review! I cannot wait for the release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this right now and am about 80% through!! Can I just say that I am CRUSHED!! This book has made me feel all range of emotions and I just want to curl up with it and cry for the characters!! I don't want it to end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo excited for this one. I must order it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for this one! I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think the love was taken out of the triangle rather nicely in this instalment. It was all :O and I cannot wait another year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! This book absolutely blew me away.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).