'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 25 July 2013

Harry Potter #23

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here


Favourite Creature from the Series
There are so many amazing creatures in the series, it really is impossible to pick between them. If I have to pick one though, it would be:

Mandrake
Although technically a plant, I cannot help but consider these as creatures. They are so funny and such a pain to contend with on the Lego Harry Potter games! Here's a little information about them. 

Whenever unearthed, the root screams. The scream of a mature Mandrake when it is unearthed will kill any person who hears it, but a young Mandrake's screams will usually only knock a person out for several hours. When Hogwarts students study Mandrakes in Herbology class, Pomona Sprout had the students wear earmuffs to protect their ears from the Mandrake's cries.

Mandrakes not only resemble humans, but also have similar behaviours to them. In the 1992–1993 school year, the Mandrakes, at one point of time, became moody and secretive, which indicated that they were reaching adolescence. Later on, they threw a loud party, which is comparable to humans when they are teenagers. Hagrid also mentioned the Mandrakes having acne. Mandrakes are fully matured when they start moving into each others pots. When matured, Mandrakes can be cut up to serve as a prime ingredient for the Mandrake Restorative Draught, which is used to cure those who have been Petrified. Additionally, the Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. During the Battle of Hogwarts, Mandrakes were used against Death Eaters.

A Mandrake's scream is very similar to (if not the same as) a banshee's scream, which is also fatal.

The Dugbog's favourite food is Mandrakes, which leads to Mandrake-growers finding nothing but a bloody mess when pulling their plants out. Flesh-Eating Slugs are known to favour Mandrakes. In the 1992-1993 school year, Rubeus Hagrid bought Flesh-Eating Slug Repellentfor use on Hogwarts' Mandrakes, which would later be used to cure the petrification of Colin Creevey, Hermione Granger, and others.

Their leaves can be used in Potions.
One thing I do find pretty grim though, is the fact that these little plants that look like humans are chopped up! Urrghhhhhh. Surely that is slightly immoral? Haha.





8 comments:

  1. Interesting pick! I found them weirdly funny but then thought: if these are sort of like babies, when they cut them up and what, cook em for the potion? Er, awkward! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This scene from the greenhouse was great! :D And herbology would be probably one of my favourite classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about the Lego HP games! The mandrakes make such an awful racket until you find the earmuffs! And your character walks soooo slowly when you're holding one until you find a flower pot to put it in. Once I have the Red Brick that makes the mandrakes sing instead of screech, I always make sure it's activated, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh interesting pick! The mandrake is just another one of those insanely unique ideas JKR came up with isn't it?! I love how frustrating they are to deal with but did those little buggers ever come in handy during second year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any scene in Herbology and Ron with the Mandrake is cracking me up! I'm not sure if I would want to have to take care of them, but they are mighty useful. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandrakes are very strange creatures! I am not sure I would want to be in herbology myself..love the gif!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so cool at the Wizarding World in Florida.. they had Mandrakes outside that you could look at !!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).