'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 11 July 2013

Harry Potter #21

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here

Best odd thing/ incident/ person from Harry Potter (Dumbledore's chamber pot incident, the mad knight etc.)
Luna Lovegood
I absolutely adore Luna. She has this very amazing ability to just genuinely not give a flying f**k about what anyone thinks of her. She is loyal, true to herself and her friends, incredibly intelligent and funny. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about this character.

“Hello' said a vague and dreamy voice from behind them. Harry looked up: Luna Lovegood had drifted over from the Ravenclaw table. Many people were staring at her and few people openly laughing and pointing; she had managed to procure a hat shaped like a life-size lion's head, which was perched precariously on her head.
'I'm supporting Gryffindor' said Luna, pointing unnecessarily at her hat. "Look what it does...'
She reached up and tapped the hat with her wand. It opened its mouth wide and gave an extremely realistic roar that made everyone in the vicinity jump.
'It's good, isn't it?' said Luna happily. 'I wanted to have it chewing up a serpent to represent Slytherin, you know, but there wasn't time. Anyway...good luck, Ronald!”

I just love her. I really do. She is amazing and despite the snickers of her peers she stays true to what she really believes in. She supports her father and all of his absurd claims in the Quibbler and this just makes us love her more. Luna is a character that I think we can all see a bit of in ourselves, or at least someone that we wish we could have been as confident as. School is a hard place to be when growing up and it is refreshing to see that Luna doesn't sacrifice any part of herself despite this.
'You're just as sane as I am.'
During my reading of the Harry Potter books I looked forward to the lines given to Luna. They were always insightful but in the most bizarre of ways! She is always open to giving out advice even if it always a little unbelievable. Luna is the only one that can initially sympathise with Harry upon seeing the thestrals and I just loved the way their relationship developed throughout Order of the Phoenix

“I don't think you should be an Auror, Harry," said Luna unexpectedly. Everybody looked at her. "The Aurors are part of the Rotfang Conspiracy, I thought everyone knew that. They're working to bring down the Ministry of Magic from within using a mixture of dark magic and gum disease.”



14 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your Harry Potter reminisces!

    Oh come on, is anyone more weirdly adorable than Luna Lovegood? :p

    But in terms of odd thing, I'd go for the sword of Gryffindor -- it shows up just when you need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh that's so true! I will never forget that moment in Chamber of Secrets :D <3

      Delete
  2. I used Luna as well, or rather both Lovegoods! :D Awesome quirky family. Luna's words are often very smart and you can learn something from them, but they are disguised in her loony-ness. :)
    I wasn't always her fan be she grew on me through rereads. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Luna! Such a unique character, and one of the best friends anyone could ask for. Great choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. Love Luna! She's one of my favorite character's really and I didn't even think of her. :/

    P.S. Oh and Leah? I'm not able to add Madiha @ The Smell of Parchment as the link anymore. :/ It asks for 10 characters and even my blog name is too long. :P My name seemed to suffice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops!! I must have forgot to uncheck that box!

      Delete
  5. My favourite Luna moment is still the quiet conversation she and Harry have at the end of Order of the Phoenix, when Luna is looking for her stuff. I think it displays how wonderfully strange she is, but also how kind and how aware she is of everything that goes on around her.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Luna! I even named one of my cats after her. I really like this idea and I think I will participate next week. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I look forward to reading your posts :).

      LOVE that your cat is named after her!!

      Delete
  7. The linky won't let me put more then 10 letters in my blog's name FYI. I love Luna too.. I love her character way more in the movie then in the book too!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! Luna is part of my answer as well though I won't be able to post mine until next week because I did a review today. I ADORE her so much. She is so quirky and fun. Excellent choice :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally fine! :D I look forward to reading about your fave odd thing!

      Delete
  9. Ah! LOVE Luna! She's just so sweet, kind and UNIQUE. She is her own person no matter what and I always loved that Harry and the rest of the gang realized that and became friends with her ♥ And you said it perfectly: she's ALWAYS insightful even though it can come at random moments! Eeeek seeing this makes me even more excited to join the fun this week :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).