'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 2 June 2013

REVIEW: Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.
I've been putting of reading this book for awhile. I think I was daunted by the hype surrounding the book and hadn't really been in the mood to read vampires for quite some time. In all honesty I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. With a lot of repetition floating around with regards to vampires in fiction I was fully expecting another case of vampire are hot and sexy but forbidden, girls floating around them and found myself praying for no more sparkle. Thankfully, I was wrong.

Vampire Academy follows Rose and Lissa, a Dhampir and a Moroi as they return to St Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampires and their guardians. The novel holds various 'types' of characters. The first are Dhampirs, guardians of Moroi's and figures that are mainly expected to give up their lives in order to protect the Moroi. They are created through a relationship between a Moroi and a human. They have certain characteristics of vampires but do not need blood and do not need to avoid the sun. Moroi's are known as the 'good' vampires. They are primarily royalty and are beginning to run out (as well as the Dhampirs). Moroi need blood and are your stereotypical vampire - except that they do not kill. Blood lust is not an issue here. We are left with the remaining Strigoi. These are know as the 'bad' vampires. These are the stereotypical vampire. Evil, cruel and murderous. In order to become a vampire, a Moroi must murder someone with intent. This world was surprisingly easy to navigate despite the new terms and hierarchies.

The reason this book didn't quite make a 5* rating is because of a few issues I had with the characters. Despite not wanting Rose and Lissa to get hurt, I wouldn't say I particularly like either of them. Both are quite shallow and not really characters that I am comfortable reading. Rose is loud mouthed, boisterous and not an easy character to like. She seems to be very controlling of Lissa and I just hope that she gets better as the series goes on. Lissa seemed to be fine although slightly demure. I'm not sure what to make of her situation as of yet but I'd like to see more of her active side. I loved Christian and Dimitri. Christian is a Moroi and a member of an outcast Royal family. His parents turned Strigoi and he is not accepted within society. A dark, mysterious character I am looking forward to learning more about him. Dimitri is again, a typical character for a novel such as this. A guardian that is described as dark, mysterious and gorgeous, I am interested to learn more about his past. 

The book held many twists and turns with the story not ending in a way that I expected it to. I'm about to start the second one as I write this and am looking forward to see what comes next in this world!


2 comments:

  1. See, I knew you'll like it! :P :D
    Rose and Lissa get so much better, they evolve to such lengths it's amazing. They both get transformed and it's a pleasure to read.
    This book is so far from cliché, that's why I loved them all so much. You can see that Mead did a thorough research on the matter and it's suuuuch a good series I loved the books so so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand what you said about Rose and Lissa. They do mature a lot in the rest of the series (especially Rose). I'm glad you liked it! I had similar worries when I started it because of the hype, but it is so worth it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).