'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 24 June 2013

REVIEW: Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?
This is my second time of reading this book and it has lost absolutely none of its magic. I adore this book and it certainly deserves the hype that surrounds it. My re-read was prompted by the appearance of Crown of Midnight on Net Galley and the fact that I have yet to review this book! It will be difficult to do this book justice - epic fantasy isn't usually a genre that I adore. I enjoy it, but not until this book had I fallen in love with it. If you have yet to read this book, I really do not know what you are waiting for :).

The novel follows the journey of Adarlan's Assassin - the most notorious of assassins in the land. We follow her on her journey from the salt mines of Endovier to the King's castle in order to battle to become the King's Champion, his very own assassin. This book is flawless. I absolutely love that Maas used a female as the assassin and Celaena really is brilliant. She is so badass and stands up for what she believes in without fail. She risks her own life to save one of the other criminals in the battle to become the Champion rather than  battling for the victory of that challenge. The mines hadn't hardened her, she still has compassion and is able to love despite the trauma of her past.

A Cinderella story that everyone will love, this book is absolutely unputdownable. Sardothien must keep her true identity a secret throughout the challenges; she is a criminal hidden under the pretense of royalty and graces. One of things I loved the most was that she is such a real character. Despite her violence, her moods, her emotions and her deadliness, she is still such a 'normal' girl. She loves to dress up, she loves to shop, to wear pretty dress, to go to balls (although, unfortunately, she is never invited). Maas' characters are polished and her world building is wonderful. I really cannot toot this books horn enough!

Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol Westfall are also brilliant characters. With Dorian having picked Celaena as his champion to win and Chaol guarding Celaena we spend a lot of the novel getting to know these characters and how they interact with each other. I absolutely adore both of these men and am not at all irritated by the little love triangle within the tale. It doesn't take over the book and its main form comes in their loyalty to Celaena and how her safety is of the utmost importance to both of them. Despite this, they do not treat her as a female, they acknowledge that she does not need to be babied; that she is more than capable of looking after herself and of killing them if she really wanted. Most have a certain guy that they would like Celaena to end up with but I love them both that it really doesn't matter!

A book jam packed with evil and battles, it really is a gripping read with many strong fantasy elements. Celaena has to battle against not only other Champions but also against something dark lurking within the glass castle. With Champions being murdered every few tests, it is a dangerous time to be within the King's castle. I don't want to expand on this in case of spoilers but it is certainly enough to make your skin crawl! There isn't a chapter which doesn't contain action of some kind and I really cannot recommend this book enough.






6 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book too and I can't wait to read Crown of Midnight:) The love triangle in this book is one of the few I actually liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said! I really liked this book and can't wait to read the sequel :) I love the love triangle! Celeana is such a kick-butt heroine too. Great review :)

    Zoe @ Bookhi
    www.bookhi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started this one and had trouble with it..I need to try it again and give it a second chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Throne of Glass. I really wasn't expecting to even like it, and then I just caught up in Caelena's world. I've read Crown of Midnight too (review here) and if possible, the series gets even better.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked this! I've heard nothing but great things about Throne of Glass. Can't wait to read it myself. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend is telling me to read this book! She just loves it and from what I see here. it must be a very good series! Oh, well, I'll make time your it, I'm convinced.
    Thanks for sharing!:)

    Athina @ Between my Lines

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).