'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 7 June 2013

REVIEW: Acid - Emma Pass

Acid - Emma Pass
Acid
2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Corgi @ Random House*


I was so excited to receive this book through the post - a book I had been longing to read for what felt like forever! I am happy to say that  the book did not disappoint at all. It held all of the best parts of the dystopian genre; action, oppression, issues of trust and escape. A really wonderful book to read. I think what was so great about this book was that it wasn't set in the distant future. 2113 is only a hundred years ahead of us and the novel shows with eerie accuracy how easy it would be for the UK to turn into a nanny state. This added to the thrill of the book for me and it allowed me to identify with Jenna Strong with ease.

The world building in this book was amazing, sucking me right into the same world as what Jenna inhabits. It's made so much easier by a familiar setting of London and the UK (now named IRB) but it's made entirely new by the dark atmosphere and ruling created through the words of Emma Pass. Before I begin gushing, I want to explain why it received 4.5* instead of 5*. That is purely down to the - what I felt to be - unnecessary love interest brought in. I didn't feel like this addition of a love interest added anything to the plot but was a little unnecessary and is something which seems to come with quite a few Young Adult books lately. A book doesn't need romance to be amazing!

The book is absolutely action packed and led by a strong heroine. I loved that the novel played around with issues of identity and it was incredibly scary to see the ease with which someone's identity and memories can be changed. Acid held many twists and turns and I was eagerly flipping the pages to find out more. There was never a dull moment in this book with drama flowing into drama flowing into drama! I absolutely loved it. We are introduced to ACID, the controlling totalitarian police force, an underground terrorist gang and a gang which is fighting to overturn this new government (FREE). 

Jenna was so amazingly kick-ass. I LOVED her character so much! We first meet her in an all-male prison and almost immediately discover that NO man gets his way with our heroine. She is strong-minded, independent and more than able to hold her own against anyone coming her way. I love how her story develops throughout and how we see her character develop through the novel. I am finding myself hoping that there will be a follow-up book but who knows! I definitely recommend this book to Dystopia lovers, Young Adult lovers or anyone that likes their books with a LOT of action and ass-kicking. 



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so excited to read this book! Glad you enjoyed it so much. And it's set in UK? Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of ass-kicking is the best and I've found lately that many newer books are lacking in it or the action falls flat so I'm glad to hear this one has lots of it. BTW, What's a nanny state? I'll have to google that...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).