'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 6 May 2013

The Frustration of Book Covers

Recently I bought a copy of Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. When I got home I realised, to my horror, that I had a different cover of the first book in the series, Uglies. This has been irritating me ever since. Especially considering I love the cover of Pretties but haven't seen that cover of Uglies for such a long time. Here are the two books that I have at the moment:
 Uglies (Uglies, #1) Pretties (Uglies, #2)

Which do you guys prefer? I personally would like all of the same covers as the one which is on Pretties. Now I know that I am not the only one that has cover issues with books. It's bad enough that two of my Harry Potter books are in paperback rather than hardback never mind a book with an entirely different cover! My boyfriend, who isn't a massive reader, is currently frustrated that he bought his Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince copy in the adult edition rather than the UK kids edition (like the rest of his books).
I find it frustrating too. They don't look as nice on the shelf if they're not all matching. It doesn't feel like the series is complete but I can guarantee that I will buy the other cover of Uglies whenever I find it. This does mean though that the one cover will be up for a giveaway for you guys :). 

What is your opinion on purchasing a book in the same series but with different covers?

12 comments:

  1. I'm completely half and half about it. I can see where the frustration lies for sure. If my Harry Potter books weren't all hardbacks and the children's editions I would have a huge problem with that. However, I think each book has its own story and seeing them as a set makes you see them as one entity rather than appreciate them as individuals. For example, when parents dress their twins in the exact same clothes I cannot abide it because so often they have completely different personalities. I know it's not the same thing (I just compared books to children!) but it's the best analogy I could think of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that is some serious bookish issues :P.
      Yeah I totally get what you mean by the whole book having its own story. It just frustrates me because they don't match. Another is beginning a series late so having paperbacks but then when you catch up the hardbacks start coming in... Maybe I have some sort of mild bookish OCD haha.

      Delete
  2. I liked the old ones better. You know what drives me crazy about book covers changing? When you have a book turned movie and after the movie makes it big, they nix the original book cover and replace it with the celebrities from the movie. That really irritates me. So I guess you're not the only one with cover issues. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Oh my god yes! I hate when they do that! It's just like no, no I do not want some actress chick on my book cover. I get that is it all about marketing but I hunt down the books without the film covers haha.

      Delete
  3. I would absolutely hate getting a book which is of different cover to the first in the series that I own. I'm a stickler for matching pairs and so would love for my book series to all match. The annoying thing is when new covers come out sometimes the newer versions are better than the original and Id prefer them.
    Also, I much prefer the Uglies cover, its more mysterious and intriguing, whereas the pretties cover is a bit random and kind of freaky. To be honest though both covers could be better, I'm sure he has another different cover for the books as when I read the series there was an actual person on the cover.
    I just HAD to comment.. Book covers are a serious issue for me! =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought that about the covers. I love looking through Goodreads seeing all the different ones available! It's just so frustrating not having matching ones!

      Delete
  4. I lose it when my books don't match. It may not be a big deal, but for me it's frustrating. Maybe it's my OCD or whatever but it drives me nuts.
    I have Across the Universe series and I HATE the fact that they changed covers mid-series. Who does that? Not to mention the new look is ugly. :(
    It's even worse with series that have more than 3 books... Let's not start with that. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh no, I haven't looked at them ones yet. I'll go check them out now so we can have a winge :P.

      Delete
  5. Cover changing doesn't really bother me that much but I hate when half the books in the series I own are paperback and the other half is hardcover. Just makes me so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gahh yes! I hate that too. I have some of those or just big paperbacks that don't fit in with the rest of the books.

      Delete
  6. They always need to match!!! Yes!!! My books are not only my loves, but my decorating props all around my house. I love the look of a beautifully matched series all in a row. *rubs paws together in OCD delight*

    ReplyDelete
  7. So frustrating! I hate as well when they make the paperback different sizes. I think they did this for Ally Condie's last book, and it just looks bizarre. I have the 2nd and 3rd of this series in the Pretties cover, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can find Uglies to match as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).