'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 5 May 2013

REVIEW: Fragments - Dan Wells

Fragments  (Partials #2) - Dan Wells
Fragments (Partials, #2)
Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Net Galley*
*May contain spoilers if you have not read Partials*

“The enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

This book felt a little different from Partials. Fragments takes off where Partials left off. Kira has left Long Island in search of a more sustainable cure to RM alongside the search for her true identity. She had just discovered that she herself is a Partials and not the human she once thought she was. Now; with a new Partials war beginning, led by Dr. Morgan, it was not only the humans that must be saved. She must also discover the cure to prevent the Partials from dying. She must find a way to change the expiration date. With many of the Partials reaching their maximum of 20 years, there isn't much time to accomplish both feats. Two urgent discoveries which will help the human and partial race.

With the urgent quest underway, Kira realises that there is much more to her than what she first realises. She is not only progress, but also a risk. This not only leads to the hunting of her by the Partial army and Dr Morgan, but a violent outburst from a more peaceful doctor. A book filled with nail biting and heart racing events, it was incredibly difficult to put it down. It was definitely a case of one more chapter before bed... which we all know is never just one more chapter. The relationship between Kira and Samm begin to develop more and Wells also introduces a kind of 'super-human' Partial in the figure of Heron. She is quicker, more alert, sensitive to movements and stronger than the average Partial; a special design for the hardest of missions. She is a tough figure to get along with but I loved her. Despite her lack of emotion and harsh decisions (especially at the end) I thought she was so kick-ass despite being a total bitch. 

“It's just one thing after another. Cars that won't run. Planes that will never fly again. Computer systems we can barely use, let alone re-create. It's like...time is flowing backward. We're caveman archaeologists in the ruins of the future.”

I can't write this review without mentioning Afa. A scientist discovered by Kira, he ends up on their quest to find the cure to RM despite his protests. He had been wandering around Manhattan alone for the past 12 years and was convinced that he was the only remaining human following the Partial War. It took awhile for Kira to convince him that she was trustworthy. I found him such a difficult character to get to grips with. I wanted to pity him. Having been on his own for so long, he was mentally unstable and prone to outbursts of hysteric babblings. Despite this, his mind was as strong as ever with regards to computer technology. He was to go on the mission in order to crack The Trust's database. I felt though, that if I read another sentence based on his backpack, that I would explore. It was torturous! It made me entirely sympathise with Samm, Kira and Heron. 


“None of this is by accident, and we have to figure out what it all means. She paused. We have to. It's the same old argument I used to have with Mkele: the present or the future. Sometimes you have to put the present through hell to get the future you want."


This was such an action packed novel. I felt frustrated alongside Kira as she hit so many walls on her travels. I was eager to find out about the various members of The Trust and what exactly they were planning. As a group of individuals that worked for Para-Gen it was exciting to learn about what triggered certain events. However, this was not explained easily and I am still slightly lost as to what was going on. A group that did not trust the superiors within the company, and most certainly didn't trust each other, it was a bumpy ride in discovering how all of the pieces they discovered fit together. Most importantly, I could not wait to find out what Nandita's role was in all of this! 

There are so many fascinating discoveries made within this book. I'm trying so hard to not put any spoilers in this review for those of you that haven't read it but AAGGHHHH get to it now! There is progress in certain aspects, but definitely lack of progress in others. It's written from the viewpoints of Kira primarily, but occasionally we have little bits from Marcus, Haqu and Samm. It's such an exciting book and it's left on such a cliffhanger that I cannot wait for the next one. Unfortunately, Goodreads doesn't even have the blurb up yet so that is never a good sign! Boo.

I definitely recommend this book. Stop reading this review and go! Go read it! :)

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored this book! Fragments came to life once I started reading it, and after I was done, I had nightmares about certain Partials sneaking into my house to kill me. *Shivers* Like you said, Heron does have a bitchy side, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to get myself to hate her.

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! I didn't enjoy Partials as much as I thought I would, but I think I will give this one a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).