'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 29 May 2013

REVIEW: After the Ending - Lindsey Fairleigh, Lindsey Pogue

After the Ending - Lindsey Fairleigh, Lindsey Pogue
After The Ending (The Ending, #1)
The Virus spread. Billions died. The Ending began. We may have survived the apocalypse, but the Virus changed us.

When people started getting sick, “they” thought it was just the flu. My roommate, my boyfriend, my family…they’re all gone now. I got sick too. I should have died with them—with the rest of the world—but I didn’t. I thought witnessing the human population almost disappear off the face of the earth was the craziest thing I’d ever experience. I was so wrong. My name is Dani O’Connor, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.

The Virus changed everything. The world I knew is gone, and life is backwards. We’ve all had to start over. I’ve been stripped of my home, my dreams…all that is me. I’m someone else now—broken and changed. Other survivors’ memories and emotions haunt me. They invade my mind until I can no longer separate them from my own. I won’t let them consume me. I can’t. My name is Zoe Cartwright, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.

We’ve been inseparable for most of our lives, and now our friendship is all we have left. The aftermath of the Virus has stranded us on opposite sides of the United States. Trusting strangers, making sacrifices, killing—we’ll do anything to reach one another. Fear and pain may be unavoidable, but we’re strong…we’re survivors. But to continue surviving in this unfamiliar world plagued by Crazies and strange new abilities, we have to adapt. We have to evolve. 
And more than anything, we have to find each other.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*DNF*

I just couldn't get on with this book. At all. The idea sounded really good (and I still think it does) but the execution wasn't there for me. It's a novel which embarks on the journey of two best friends, Zoe and Dani, as they cope with the recent apocalypse. By recent, I mean it happened during the first few chapters of the book. I felt a little disappointed as there wasn't much explanation of what was going on in the country as this virus began killing people and I am a little at a loss as to how Dani and Zoe survived. There are no explanations or pondering about it or anything like that really.

The characters felt a little two dimensional and I really couldn't find it in me to like them. Despite the apocalypse and the fact that 87% of the US had died, they still both appeared to be preoccupied with the most superficial of things i.e. laptops and having a clean white jacket. When Dani exclaims of her shock that she is the only one that thought to bring a laptop I felt so much despair. If everything has collapsed how on earth is the internet still running for Zoe and Dani to continue emailing each other? I just felt a bit exasperated because I know that if the world just ended here, going online to email people would be the least of my worries.

Alongside this, there is a lot of lust floating around the book. It felt like a chick-lit/ romance book with a hint of the post-apocalyptic. Dani has just lost her boyfriend Cam - he died of the virus in the bed right next to her - and she is already swooning over Zoe's brother, Jason. Granted she is displaying a lot of inner turmoil about it and when I stopped reading it was revealed that another member of the army, Chris, seems to have some sort of calming powers. From what I can tell the book is going to go down an X-Men style route with the survivors of the Virus developing powers of their own etc.

The writing felt a little overwhelming. It felt like there was far too much showing than telling without leaving much room for any of my own imagination to step in. I didn't have to work very much when reading this book, everything was told to me. That is not something that I enjoy. The emails between the two protagonists were a little tiresome. It involved a lot of repetition of the same events and a lot of really pointless jargon which seemed very inappropriate considering almost the entire country had just died. It seemed that Zoe and Dani's main goals were to have sex, and that is about it.

The reason for my one star rating over the DNF rating is that the concept is really good! I had high hopes for this book and was really hoping it would be executed well. The book wasn't for me however, but the story definitely has potential. The development of the X-Men style powers sounds interesting and has the potential to come off really well. This book had far too much romance for me and not enough dystopia. We just didn't get on.


3 comments:

  1. Oh no, it looked so promising. Too bad.
    But better not finish it that to torture yourself with reading it. Now I may just bump it off my TBR pile as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so disappointed this wasn't as good as I thought it might be. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pass for me as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).