'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 19 May 2013

Harry Potter A-Z : E is for The Epilogue

A Saturday post I have been doing to spread the Harry Potter love and to take us all on a trip down memory lane :). I wasn't online much yesterday so this weeks post is going to be on a Sunday instead.

E is for The Epilogue

19 years later... 
So this epilogue to conclude the series brought about much tension when it was first read. Some readers absolutely loved it. Others (myself included) really did not like it. It was far too brief and it felt like it wasn't necessary and that it was only tacked on to prevent others creating/ writing their own endings to the series. Now that I'm older, I can totally understand why she has done it. For something which has taken J. K. Rowling so long to write and something which has been so close to her, it is totally understandable to want to ensure that they get the ending that she had set out for them.


“Why are they all staring?" demanded Albus as he and Rose craned around to look at the other students.
"Don’t let it worry you," said Ron. "It’s me. I’m extremely famous.”

The humour is still kept in the Epilogue and the characters don't seem to have changed very much. Yes they're older and wiser with children but they're friendship seems to be as strong as ever. Neville is now a professor, Luna is married, Draco seems to have also settled down although I fail to believe that everything will ever be fine between our three heroes and himself. I do like the Epilogue now, but there are so many unanswered questions. (Some of which I will be confronting within my dissertation). What happened to all of the Death Eaters, for instance?

“Albus Severus," Harry said quietly, so that nobody but Ginny could hear, and she was tactful enough to pretend to be waving to Rose, who was now on the train, "you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.”

Although it leaves so many unanswered questions, it also gives us a chance to grieve for Snape and everything he has done throughout the series. His death was one of the most upsetting ones to read. We spend so long hating him and then to find out that he has been on the goodies side and protecting Harry all along? Ahh, it was unbelievably heart breaking. I find it amazing that although it isn't included in the story, J. K. Rowling knows exactly what has happened to each character following Hogwarts. Wouldn't it be amazing if she shared her snippets of information in a book? Similar to Quidditch through the Ages etc! 
What is your opinion on the Epilogue? :)

8 comments:

  1. Great pick. I for one loved the epilogue, it was a total sob-fest for me. I loved the finality of it all, the unmistakable the end. Because we have been with the books for years, half my life to be exact. And I wanted a final, happy ending. I would not be happy with an open, imagine-it-yourself sort of thing.
    I do have questions just like everybody else, like yes - what happened to DE? Why are Harry and Draco sort of okay now, what happened there? But I always wondered: where are Harry's grandparents? It was terrible to think he only had Petunia and her snotty fam. :L
    And I'd love to find out the lives of the characters in the missing 19 years, that'd be fantastic. Apparently she already wrote a biography on Lupin or something! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lupin biography? Really? Oh, sounds great!

      Delete
    2. Yes: http://www.hypable.com/2012/10/11/jk-rowling-harry-potter-live-web-chat/ :)

      Delete
  2. I just cried a little reading the second quote. :)
    And yes, it would be amazing if she could share info about what happened to all the characters in the 19 years.

    You're writing a dissertation about HP? That's amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am!! It's going to be so amazing. :D

      Delete
  3. I liked the epilogue. It made me very happy that Snape got his due. And that the three were still close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, when I first read the epilogue I thought it was unnecessary and kind of abrupt, but as I've reread the books I've grown to love having that glimpse into the future of the characters.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. There had to be an epilogue.. if there wasn't fans would've went nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).