'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 9 May 2013

Harry Potter Moment of the Week #12

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here. This weeks is:


Favourite Moment in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
I adore this chapter of the book. I am re-reading the Harry Potter series at the moment and have just finished this one. I just sat there smiling! Not only is this Harry's introduction to Platform 9 3/4 but it's also the first time that we see all of our favourite characters meet. Harry meets the Weasleys, he bonds with Ron, here comes bossy boots Hermione and Neville flounders around looking for Trevor. Let us not forget the setting up of the rivalry between Draco and Harry. Aww, I just love it. We begin learning about the magical world such as Bertie Bott's All-Flavoured Beans, Chocolate Frogs, the fact that their photographs can move. Aww I just love it! 


'I've learnt all our set books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?'
This chapter is not only amazing because we meet all of these wonderful characters (including an introduction to Dumbledore), but we also get one of the most loved and favourite scenes of the entire series. The first years first journey across the lake towards Hogwarts. This is such a magical and moving moment. The castle is glittering and described like something out of a medieval fairy tale. A building filled with possibilities; the place that becomes Harry's home and where we will see all of the ones that we love grow up and develop into wonderful wizards. This is the beginning of our amazing, heart-wrenching journey with our heroes. 

'And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.'
This is where all the love starts, guys :).


8 comments:

  1. HOGWARTS WILL ALWAYS BE THERE TO WELCOME YOU HOME! ALL THE FEELS IN THE WORLD!!!
    I love this moment as well. There are just soooo many, how can you pick just one?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first years journey to Hogwarts is always a particular favourite of mine, in both the book and the film. No other journey beats that first one.. Not even the crashing of the little blue car in to the Whomping Willow (another great entrance though, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I agree with everything you've said! So many great scenes really so hard to choose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love so much. I really identify with that moment at the end of the film where Harry says he's "not going home. Not really." I wouldn't want to leave either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. This would have been my second choice. I absolutely love this part of the book. It basically set the entire story. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! I could read, watch and talk about these books a million times and never get sick of it. Of course that is the magic of Harry Potter! Great meme, I will be sure to participate in future one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pick. I think my favourite bit of that chapter is Harry trying to find his way on to Platform 9 and 3/4. Not only is there some comedy with Fred and George, we also see the love of a great family in the Weasleys, and a moment of great contrast between Harry, alone, and the Weasleys, together. It's the start of a long game where Rowling also teaches us that you can make your own family, like Harry does.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this scene too.. I am so jealous of those of you who live in the UK and can actually visit Platform 9 and 3/4!!! AYE! I want to go so bad!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).