'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 23 May 2013

Harry Potter #14


This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here. This weeks is FREE WEEK! Explore anything within the Harry Potter world you would like. I decided to explore:


                                House Elves 
I absolutely adore the house elves. One of the most bizarre scenes within the series is when they visit the Hogwarts kitchen and we get our first insight into how the great feasts are made. It's amazing to think that the house elves - apart from Dobby - are content within their jobs as what is basically slaves to the wealthy witches and wizards. Despite their contentedness within their situation I absolutely adore them. They are cute, adorable, helpful and even Kreacher ends up as a goodie in the end! They are so loyal and grateful. I wish I had a house elf as a friend

'But Dobby shouted, "You shall not harm Harry Potter! ... He got up, face livid, and pulled out his wand, but Dobby raised a long, threatening finger. "You shall go now," he said fiercely, pointing down at Mr. Malfoy. "You shall not touch Harry Potter. You shall go now.'

I think that everyone will agree that the death of Dobby was one of the most upsetting within the series. It was absolutely horrendous and something I just wish had never happened. I understand that she was making us grieve for these characters alongside the characters within the book and wow did it work. I sobbed throughout the entire book. It's quite upsetting that the house elves are so indoctrinated into the 'natural order' of the wizarding world that the thought of being 'freed' by an item of clothing causes them great grief, as is shown with poor Winky.

'Ah, sir," said Winky, shaking her head, "ah sir, meaning no disrespect, sir, but I is not sure you did Dobby a favor, sir, when you is setting him free."
"Why?" said Harry, taken aback. "What's wrong with him?"
"Freedom is going to Dobby's head, sir, " said Winky sadly. "Ideas above his station, sir. Can't get another position, sir."
"Why not?" said Harry.
Winky lowered her voice by a half-octave and whispered, "He is wanting paying for his work, sir.'
This is how I felt when reading scenes like this. Poor little things. I am really looking forward to explaining all of these issues in my dissertation - eeeek!
Can't wait to see what you guys are going to explore in your posts!

4 comments:

  1. Nice topic! I really like house elves as well. How they are so eager to help. I felt a little bad for them but Dobby made up for it. He was the best! :D
    And yes, seeing how the feasts are made was really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dobby is wonderful! And I agree, Dobby's death was especially sad. :/ I'm glad Harry buried him without magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you have been a member of SPEW? I think I would have been!

    Here's mine for this week.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I would be apart of SPEW or not.I mean I wish they would do more to free the elves. Put an ad in the Daily Prophet or something! I just felt like they weren't doing enough!!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).