'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare!

So not only is today World Book Night, it is also William Shakespeare's birthday! 

“Petruchio: Come, come, you wasp; i' faith, you are too angry.
Katherine: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
Petruchio: My remedy is then, to pluck it out.
Katherine: Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.
Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
Katherine: In his tongue.
Petruchio: Whose tongue?
Katherine: Yours, if you talk of tails: and so farewell.
Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again, Good Kate; I am a gentleman.” 
- William Shakespeare, Taming of the Shrew

Shakespeare's Wikipedia page.
I love Shakespeare. I think his plays are absolutely wonderful. My favourite by far is Taming of the Shrew closely followed by Othello. What do you guys think of his works?

Works


TRAGEDIES
Antony and Cleopatra
Coriolanus
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
King Lear
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus

HISTORIES
Henry IV, Part I
Henry IV, Part II
Henry V
Henry VI, Part I
Henry VI, Part II
Henry VI, Part III
Henry VIII
King John
Richard II
Richard III

COMEDIES

All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
The Comedy of Errors
Cymbeline
Love's Labours Lost
Measure for Measure
The Merry Wives of Windsor
The Merchant of Venice
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado About Nothing
Pericles, Prince of Tyre
The Taming of the Shrew
The Tempest
Troilus and Cressida
Twelfth Night
Two Gentlemen of Verona
The Winter's Tale

POETRY

The Sonnets
A Lover's Complaint
The Rape of Lucrece
Venus and Adonis
Funeral Elegy by W.S.

List found here.

8 comments:

  1. I'v only ever tried to read Romeo and Juliet but it was hard and I gave up. Will try again. :D
    We discussed Hamlet in school but only read a small portion... I'm a big Shakespeare noob to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total noob, Ula :P. I recommend his comedies, they're a lot easier and nicer to read!

      Delete
  2. I am ashamed to admit that I have not read Shakespeare. I really want to get started on one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely recommend Taming of the Shrew then :D. There's even a film based on it haha. 10 things I hate about you!

      Delete
  3. Othello is the only one of his dramas I truly love, the rest frustrate me!
    I adore his comedies :) Much Ado About Nothing and Twelfth Night are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His comedies are definitely the better ones :). They're much light, although I don't mind King Lear.

      Delete
  4. I've only read Romeo & Juliet so far, but for classes next year I'll have to read a few more (: His language takes some getting used to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, I was lucky (if you can say that) that I had to study Chaucer making Shakespeare so, so much easier! Hope you enjoy them :).

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).