'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 10 March 2013

REVIEW: 'Delirium' - Lauren Oliver


Delirium - Lauren Oliver
Delirium

Synopsis

Lena Haloway is content in her safe, government-managed society. She feels (mostly) relaxed about the future in which her husband and career will be decided, and looks forward to turning 18, when she’ll be cured of deliria, a.k.a. love. She tries not to think about her mother’s suicide (her last words to Lena were a forbidden “I love you”) or the supposed “Invalid” community made up of the uncured just beyond her Portland, Maine, border. There’s no real point—she believes her government knows how to best protect its people, and should do so at any cost. But 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex, a confident and mysterious young man who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to doubt the intentions of those in power, and fears that her world will turn gray should she submit to the procedure.

My Review: 5/5*

I honestly can't remember the last time I have given so many books so many 5* in such a short space of time! There's been Cinder, Partials, Foreseen, The Holders , The Resistance, The Legacy and now Delirium to add to the ever growing pile of my favorite books. I am absolutely loving finding all these incredibly talented authors and just losing myself in all of these different, original worlds. 

I didn't expect to love this book, honestly I didn't. I though the whole concept of curing love and what if you couldn't love anymore quite dull and a bit too sop-based for me. The reason this book came into my possession was through winning two copies of it in a competition hosted on Facebook, but I am so glad to have read this book now! It goes to show that you definitely should not judge a book by its cover. I am most definitely eating my words and thank you Lauren Oliver for making what could have been a drab subject into something AMAZING!

Lena Haloway is your normal, everyday girl. I think that's why I loved her as a character so much. There was nothing special about her, she was ordinary, plain. The lived by the rules imposed upon them by the state and was quite content in avoiding the terrifying disease, love, and is counting down the days until she receives her 'cure'. Despite her calm exterior, her previous years have surrounded by turmoil as we discover that her Mum has committed suicide, her father has passed away and she is now living with her Aunt and sisters, surrounded by rumors of the instability of her Mum and the potentially disease riddled children. 


The novel continuously refers back to the last words her Mum said to her; 'I love you'. These final words were definitely worth a death sentence if heard outside of the walls. Lena is constantly aiming to escape love, but also can't seem to get past the final words of her mother. She was told that the Health Center had attempted to cure her mother more than once with the one attempt horrifically taking place when her mother was conscious. She exclaims about how they 'cut into her brain' whilst she was awake. These events succeed in horrifying the reader to the extent that these self-professed do-gooders go to in order to attempt to cure the land of love. 

Not far into the novel, we are confronted with two other key figures. Alex, a guard and Hana, Lena's best friend. Alex was amazing. We are first confronted with him during Lena's evaluation in which he is laughing at the happenings around him. Following this, they meet regularly in which Lena discovers that Alex is an 'Invalid', that is, someone who has yet to be cured and that he is originally from The Wilds, a rebel camp in which they refuse to have The Cure. Initially she is horrified, especially as he admits his feelings for her following his revelation. In her horror, she runs away and successfully avoids him for days. As any love story goes, they eventually end up spending a LOT more time together and things progress. We discover more about The Wilds, his fake Cure scar, the vast membership of the rebellion and so much more. 

Hana on the other hand, I wasn't so keen on. I found her to be quite self-righteous, selfish and pedantic. She has slowly been going to rebel-hosted parties, hiding these facts from Lena. When Lena refuses to tag along to the first rebel gathering that she was informed of, Hana seemed distant, she becomes a different person. This I found irritating. Despite Hana resisting The Cure, she doesn't support Lena despite the dangers involved in the act of disobeying, but she also refuses to give up her actual opportunity of being cured. She is still going to go along with The Cure (as far as we know) and this I found incredibly frustrating. If she was so anti-regime then why not run off to The Wilds? I know I have just mentioned the dangers but she is already breaking the rules so why not go the whole hog and leave? With Alex's inside information, they know where they can escape. 

I loved finding out about the past of these characters. I was kept on the edge of my seat for the entire novel. There are some amazing twists and turns and the ending is absolutely heart breaking. I ordered the second book last night, immediately after I finished reading it. Absolutely cannot wait to find out what happens! I'm hoping for a miracle haha. Definitely pick this book up guys, I promise you will not be disappointed :). 


1 comment:

  1. THIS BOOK IS LOVELY. I loved the concept and the idea and the way it's written<3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).