'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #14


"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted over at Breaking the Spine , which allows us to show off the books we cannot wait to get our hands on :). 


Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe.


I've yet to read a book by Gail Carriger but my copy of Soulless arrived a few days ago so looking forward to sinking my teeth into it! This book sounds amazing and I was gutted that I didn't get approved to read it on Net Galley! Haha. Can't wait to grab a copy of this bad boy :).

xxx

17 comments:

  1. Gail Carriger is a riot. I have only read Soulless but honestly, my stomach is still sore from all the laughter (and I read it like 6 months ago!). I cannot wait for her YA debut. It'll be interesting to see if she can reign herself in and keep YA. ; ) Great pick!

    Come check out my WoW?
    Jessie Marie from The Daily Bookmark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! Read this and liked it, but didn't love it like I had hoped.

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, cool. I love when an author can create another series based in the same world as an existing series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes, this is one I am definitely waiting on as well.

    Thank you for stopping by My WoW and sharing a link to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this a few times, and added it to my TBR! Great choice!
    Beth @ YA Vixens

    YA Vixens WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read Soulless. I hope you enjoy it when it comes out.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Kendal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this cover.
    Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not long to wait for this one thankfully!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just ordered Soulles myself - I can't wait to read it either! I think I will read soulles first before contemplating buying Etiquette & Espionage though. Great pick!

    Patricia @ Night Readings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to get this book, looks amazing. As well as author's other books :D

    Hope you get it soon and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love her books and looking forward to this as well. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read anything by Gail Carriger yet, but I really should, seeing as I got super into steampunk in the middle of last year and I hear nothing but great things about her books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait until this book comes out! It sounds really great.

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to read this one until I realized the girl was only fourteen and it kind of turned me off haha, I don't think I'll be able to relate to her :/

    Thanks for coming by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just bought Soulless a few weeks ago and it's sitting on my TBR shelf. I want Etiquette & Espionage too because steampunk spies/assassins!!! It's bound to be a fantastic and exciting adventure :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like an awesome book. I hope you enjoy it as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).