'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #3

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog; Broke and Bookish. This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is: 

Top Ten Most Frustrating Characters:

10. Katniss Everdeen - I adored her in Hunger Games and Catching Fire but felt that her character was destroyed in Mockingjay. Fine, she 's had a lot to deal with but she turns into such a mopey figure in the final book. She doesn't do anything and then when she does it just doesn't feel like the same strong character anymore! It felt like the strong female protagonist had been swallowed by the Capitol. Maybe that was the point? I felt she should have been stronger as part of the resistance. Worst one was the lack of anything when her sister dies... ergh.

9. Savannah Levine - One of the main figures of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I'm not entirely why but I just couldn't get on with her. She was always assuming she was more in control of her powers than what she was and was more often than not acting like a brat. Hmm. 

8. Ron Weasley - I adore him, I really do, but my god! 'Why can't it be follow the butterflies?' followed by his constant envy of Harry Potter really did grind on me sometimes. He was continuously wallowing in self pity despite his best friend having lost his parents and having Lord Voldemort after him! 

7. Xhex - Good lord. I'm all for feisty female characters but she genuinely needs to realise that John does love her and to just suck it up and stay strong in this relationship!

6. John Matthew - Maaghhhh! How much can this whine?! Easily my least favourite brother and also making up my least favourite couple within J. R. Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood Series. Stop trying to prevent Xhex from kicking some Lesser bum!

5. Catherine Earnshaw - I don't understand her. At all. Her selfish behaviour towards her husband and Heathcliff really wound me up. Writing my dissertation was interesting that's for sure!

4. Sarah Baartman - This is based on the character, not the woman. I found Hottentot Venus as a novel deeply disturbing and empathised with Sarah Baartman for the majority of the novel. However, towards the end where she began to have a little more power over the situation she was still reluctant to stand up against her oppressors. Granted this is slightly unfair as the novel portrays the issues of racial oppression and the novel may have been trying to stick as close to the true story (based on a real person and real events) as possible. I think I was eager for some sort of comeuppance for those that mistreated her. 

3. Sheila - She is a member of the Resistance in Gemma Malley's The Declaration trilogy. She really frustrated me through her selfish pursuits and poor attempts at manipulation. When she tries to run away to find her parents in the final book is what sealed it for me. She risked and endangered many people in her acts and the easy forgiveness of those around me rankled me. Not a fan!

2. Bella Swan - She slumps and falls into a depressive mourning for the majority of New Moon over a de-masculinised, sparkly vampire. She commits many almost suicidal acts just to hear his voice in her head. She can't cope alone. Need I say anymore about why this character frustrates me? 

1. Anastasia Steel - Where do I even begin? She stands for everything the modern woman should not. She is weak, pathetic, lame, frustrating, monotonous.... the list goes on. I had to drag myself through two of the Fifty Shades books and have yet to read the final book. I know she was meant to be a submissive but my god, if someone tried spanking me for rolling my eyes sh*t would be going down! Haha. 

5 comments:

  1. Good post. Nice points, especially in regards to Bella Swan. I can't describe how much I detest that unhealthy character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Your comments about Bella and Anastasia are pretty much mine. I also totally agree about Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about Anastasia! I couldnt force myself to pick up the third book either!

    New follower here via GFC!
    Manda C.
    http://www.isolemnlyswear.com/2013/01/top-ten-tuesday-most-frustrating.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, yeah I always thought Ron was a bit of a wuss, LOL. Never totally understood why Hermione went after him instead of Harry!

    Also, definitely Catherine. Actually, practically all the characters in Wuthering Heights irritated me...they were all just so self-absorbed and manipulative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, I hated Bella in New Moon and even though Katniss could be very frustrating, I still really loved her character. Also, Ron was totally a wuss!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday post!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).