'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #1

This week I thought I'd try out a new meme: Top Ten Tuesday hosted over at the wonderful blog; Broke and Bookish. This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is:
Top Ten 'older' books that shouldn't be forgotten about!

Harry Potter - This most certainly speaks for itself. This is a collection of books which, in my opinion, will be cherished for years to come and by upcoming generations. It appeals to children and adults, it's such an intriguing little world created by J. K. Rowling and I don't think I will ever be able to get enough of it, or indeed, ever get over the ending of the series.

Rebecca - This is a masterpiece created by Daphne du Maurier. I am so glad that one of my university modules introduced me to this author and novel. It's compelling and its uncanniness carries you from page to page. This is highly recommended. It is a book which certainly hasn't received as much attention as it deserves.

Wuthering Heights - Easily my favourite book out of all the Classics. Anyone who has read it will appreciate how much of a masterpiece this work is. I am just devastated that Emily Bronte passed away before she was able to complete another novel!

Otherworld Series - Kelley Armstrong's entire series! Completely amazing books, a mind-blowing world and yet another series which I am struggling to accept the end of. The paranormal genre doesn't get anywhere near enough credit in my opinion and I hope these books maintain their popularity.

The Handmaid's Tale - The first piece of Margaret Atwood that I ever read. She is incredible. This novel echoes issues addressed by both Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World but confronts them in a much more interesting way, making it a more enjoyable read. 

The Famous Five - Need I say more? I think everyone has read these at least once in their childhood. I remember curling up with my Mam's old copies and absolutely loved them. I don't think there's any worries about these books being forgotten any time soon.

Complete Works of Shakespeare - I think this speaks for itself really. The all time greatest playwright and poet should not and will not be forgotten. If my degree taught me anything it is to respect his talent and works.

Game of Thrones - I can only speak for this book and A Clash of Kings as I've yet to read the rest, but I already know that this is not a series to be forgotten. He has successfully managed to put fantasy back on the map and I hope that it grows further in success!

Blackdagger Brotherhood - J. R. Ward is a truly talented woman. She succeeded in creating and incredibly and original world and managed to put a whole new spin on the vampire tales. 

1984 - One of the original and probably one of the most influential Dystopian texts. His Realism introduced to us the sinister world that could exist if 'security' continued the way it currently is. It unsettles me how much some of the security systems we have in the UK match up with - although not as radical as - that which is portrayed in this novel.

xxx

5 comments:

  1. BDB!! I swear I add that series to my list every week! Love me some Vishous and Rhage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your list! The Handmaid's Tale, Wuthering Heights, 1984 and Rebecca are fabulous books, and HP and A Song of Ice and Fire are two of my all-time favourite series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, Game of Thrones is some powerful crack! I am on book four and everything is being neglected because I can't stop reading it. Ok, I am pausing briefly to read The Mark of Athena, but then it's right back into A Feast for Crows. So far book 3 is my favorite! See? totally distracted...Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1ei

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you on Harry Potter - great choices and great list! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your classic choices, but I have to know... Have you read "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell? Speaking a bit of blasphemy here, but I think she blows Jane Austen (and both Brontes) out of the water.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).