'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 15 October 2012

Is feminism still relevant?

A few days ago I was debating with my boyfriend about the relevance of Feminism in the 21st Century. He argues that it is no longer needed and that the spectrum is slowly rotating so that the males will be in need of some form of 'Masculinism'. I, on the other hand, argue that Feminism is still relevant to today's society. I agree that some women/men parade under the title of 'Feminist' but are in fact sexist pigs - I'd go as far as to argue that they'd be on par or worse than the males which still believe that women are a species which come under the males. The term 'Feminism' is misunderstood by many in my opinion. Most picture a stereotypical feminist to be masculine-like in appearance (er, irony?), homosexual, angry, rough and to have a full hatred of men. The movement is to fight for equality, not to be above anyone else. Anyway, the point of this post is me gathering some viewpoints and opinions on what you guys think of feminism and the 21st century? What do you define it as? Is it still relevant to the Western world? Why?

I'm eager to write a blog report on this so any opinions would be incredibly helpful :).

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Interesting points. I think you should expand on the subject in a report. Perhaps bring in some relevant literature to argue each case :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the UK, but in the US women still have unequal pay. Jobs that are traditionally female (nursing, teaching, etc.) are significantly underpaid compared to other occupations with the same requirements in education. Also, if a man and woman are working the same job, speaking from statistics, the man will make more money. Therefore, YES! It is still relevent.

    And I agree 100%: that the movement is about equality, not domination. Things are a lot better now than they were for our mothers and grandmother, but it is not perfect yet. You bring up some really good ideas and I'm excited to read your report! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a hot topic. I have very mixed feelings about it. Growing up, I never considered myself a feminist because to me, feminist meant radical feminist, and I actually like men. I think they're adorable! Then in school I was told that there are many levels of feminism, the lowest being someone who simply believes in equality of the sexes. While I now understand this distinction and even the value of making it, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of it. This seems to me like the label of racism. While I totally understand the need to define it on more than one level, it's also a term used by negative people who want to apply a negative label to EVERYONE! To say that everyone is a racist or a chauvinist on some level is very negative and, in my opinion, attempting to take away people's choices. It sort of bugs me.

    Also, I think most educated people have risen above feminism, but other, less educated parts of the world still have problems with it. Because of this, many people think sexism is dead. I'm not sure I agree, but I understand why they think so. I do think we ought to keep feminism alive, if for no other reason than to keep society from backsliding, but I also think radical feminism does a lot more harm than good.

    I hope this helps, though I haven't been very definitive. Like I said, mixed feelings. Very interesting topic, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you. You've highlighted most of my issues with feminism, both for and against.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).