'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 4 October 2012

First week done! A few books to browse at :).

So my first week of postgraduate life is done, lecture wise anyway! I have a grand total of six hours a week, with eight hours every few. Can't complain really, it's the same as what I did for undergraduate! It's quite intimidating though as it feels like you have to be on top of your game 100% of the time. The dreaded presentations are being introduced this year. I'm trying to focus on how helpful they will be once they're done but at the moment it's a massive EEUUURRGHHHH!

Anyway, the point of this post is to show off the course books I know I have to read so far this semester! Can't complain which makes a lovely change :):

Neo-Victorian Mutinies: Gender & Racial Trauma

The Siege Of Krishnapur Wanting Fingersmith Hottentot Venus: A Novel The Journal of Dora Damage Dan Leno & Limehouse Golem

I've also decided to read:
Supping With Panthers

This wasn't voted in on our to-read list course wise but I can't resist a book with a supernatural edge!

I was unbelievably excited to see Sarah Waters appear on my course text list! It's a book I've wanted to read for ages and now the excuse is there. So far these are the only compulsory texts for semester 1 (alongside small essays etc) and the course book and the way we approach it is entirely our choice for my other module! So far so good :).

Have any of you guys read any of these books? Opinions? :)

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).