'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 7 September 2012

Distraction Technique No.1

MiddlemarchI'm currently doing a temporary work placement so I feel like my blog has been massively neglected this past week and a half :(. So I thought what better time to do a rambly post than when I'm stuck here until 7pm! Being back in the real world of work/ studying has made me remember (sadly) how little time it leaves for your own reading. I grabbed a freebie; Hidden Fire roughly a fortnight ago and I still have yet to reach 50%. Granted, the book itself isn't all that gripping at the moment, but still! I am not a slow reader, so even the most difficult of books shouldn't take this long to read. Eliot's mammoth novel Middlemarch was read in a week - I was pretty impressed with myself! Lol! I will admit though, I really did enjoy it. Once you were in the right mind set, the pages just flew by. It's one of the rare course books that I haven't actually sold on to other students. They don't usually tend to pick the most enjoyable of books.

Speaking of course books, the count down has officially begun! The 1st of October is coming quickly and I will be starting my Ma English. I'm quite nervous in a way even though it's the same university that I studied my Undergraduate degree at. I worry that maybe my brain isn't quite up to the standard of Masters level. We'll soon find out though I suppose! A fair few of the modules sound wonderful:
  • Gender and Culture: An Introduction
  • Neo-Victorian Mutinies: Gender and Racial Trauma
  • 'The Great Pretender': Masculinity in Contemporary Women's Fiction.
  • Angela Carter
Soooo many choices! I'm hoping two modules run but there isn't a lot of information about it:
  • When we Dead Awaken: Gendered Approaches to Myth and Fairytale
  • Gender and Mystical Experience in the Middle Ages 
How good do they sound?! Too good to be true, that's for sure haha. Fingers crossed they'll run though. I love studying literature with regards to gender - it's fascinating. The pictures surrounding are Swansea, the place in which I study. A university directly opposite the beach, you cannot complain. It's a beautiful place and I am absolutely in love with it.



 xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).