'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 15 July 2012

Time to show off!

So here we go: Showcase Sunday as hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea. The time of the week where I get to show off the books I've bought/ received and read all about the lovelies everyone else has gathered :). 
Blade Song
 
This week, the wonderful site of Net Galley has treated me with the book which I am currently reading, that is; Blade Song by J. C. Daniels. Once I'd read the synopsis I HAD to have the book! It sounded like the right balance between the paranormal and the life of crime. Very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it. I will admit, the cover doesn't do much for me, but here's hoping the synopsis lives up to it! I will be sure to review it following the review I will be writing about Castle's Shadow Rising.
 


 Once again I found myself wandering out the local The Works bookshop - something which is always dangerous. £1.99 for a book or £5 for three. There isn't many book lovers that can turn that one down. So this week, I've treated myself to the following:


  The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)  The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)  The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)  Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)   

So yeah, it's been a pretty successful week! Having not long read and watched Collins' The Hunger Games it has reignited my love of Dystopian literature and one I read the cover of Dashner's work - which recommended him to The Hunger Game lovers - and then read the back, I couldn't resist snapping up all three books of the trilogy! It's unusual that I buy more than one of a trilogy but I couldn't resist! Kava's is an average crime story of a detective trying to uncover the mystery of several drug addled teenagers deaths. A bit different from my usual reads that's for sure!

My books this week are quite different from what I've been reading lately, but I'm looking forward to reading something a bit different to the fantasy/ paranormal genres. I've read an awful lot of them lately and following Blade Song it will be a refreshing change to read something a little different. The plan is to possibly set myself some form of Dystopian or Margaret Atwood challenge. I've always wanted to read her books but have only managed a sorry amount of two! Pathetic ha. So that will be the next goal :).

This has been my weekly buys so I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's! 
xxx

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to give Atwood another chance. I tried to read Handmaiden's Tale and I think the movie ruined it for me. I really hated the movie and, of course, saw it before I read the book. Another author of the same time period and genre was Sheri S. Tepper. Have you read any of her books? I think her two most famous ones were "Grass" and "The Gate to Women's Country"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great buys this week! I'm off to swansea tomorrow and I know I'm going to find myself in The Works! Oh dear I wonder how many books I'll come home with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to give her a try :). Oh no! I've yet to watch the movie but the book is amazing. I've read 'Starved for you' which is a short story by Atwood - really good.

    Ah Bec! Buy one for me :P I'm gonna be sat in a ceremony or 2 hours lol! Snoooooze.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).