'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 23 July 2012

Decisions Decisions!

This morning I finished reading James Herbert's Others. It isn't a book I'm going to be reviewing but was certainly worth the 4/5* rating I have it on Goodreads. The book was something of a break from the supernatural/ fantasy land that I'd been living in for the past few weeks. Needless to say, halfway through the book I was craving my vamps, shape shifters and magic - clairvoyance wasn't really a great substitute for it! Choosing the next book to read was a difficult task, I narrowed my options down to:

Previously bought:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone     A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 1 of 2)    A Hunger Like No Other

Freebies up for review:
Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes     Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)

It took me awhile and a few change of minds but I finally settled on Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I originally picked up and stuck my bookmark in George R. R. Martin's third book within his series but I could not for the life of me remember what had happened in A Clash of Kings and - as ashamed as I am to admit it - I did not want to re-read the first two books all over again in order to just pick up the third. Not really in the mood for a hefty read right now! Shamelessly, I am going to be browsing online to catch up on the second series of Game of Thrones before reading that book - there is nothing worse than reading a book out of necessity rather than out of actual want. (The same reason for me skipping over my to-be-reviewed pile! They can be the next books, they sound amazing! Look them up :) ).

This is basically a summary of my bookish thoughts for the day - so many books, too many choices. It takes far too long to just pick a book to read, especially considering they are mostly first of a series and I know once I start a really good series that's it! I'm sucked in and gone and there are so many books just left sitting on the shelf :( boo. I'm working the Olympics football Wednesday and Thursday though so that will provide more monies to spend on lovely, lovely books! I still have to give Jeaniene Frost's second book within her Night Huntress series as promised to the lovely ladies of 'Paranormal Romance with a Kick'. Apparently it's a lot better than the not so great introduction to the series! But that's a book for another time... back to Laini Taylor, Karou and her new world.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).