'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 11 June 2012

New Toys and Difficulties


FINALLY, I've finished Lawrence's Women in Love. Not a bad novel in itself, I just found myself analysing and picking it apart due to my degree. I find it incredibly difficult to lose myself in a classic now because of this. Despite this, it was a very good book if not an exhausting read in some parts. I'm now reading A Discovery of Witches. Having seen the mixed reviews I'm praaaying it's as good as it sounds, the genre is right up my street! :). 

The Penguin Book of Classical Myths For awhile I've been wanting to learn more about Greek and Classical Mythology. Thanks to various recommendations on Goodreads I decided to purchase The Penguin Edition of Classical Myths by Jenny March for only £2 on Ebay! It arrived today so I can't wait to sink my teeth into it :). Having seen the price within the cover I'm ecstatic with the bargain I snapped up with it! Fingers crossed it will be just what I've been looking for to get into the subject. 

Following on from goodies, I spent the entire day attempting to find SOMETHING to wear for a wedding - being a girl who lives in leggings and vests/ dresses it's very difficult to find something suitable! I'm never happier than in a pair of boots or trainers and a pair of leggings making the task of finding something formal to wear incredibly difficult. It was made even worse by the mass of amazing sounding books in The Works Shop! Despite having a Kindle I still find myself missing the feeling of finality and closure you get my closing an actual book, nothing will be able to replace that.

Fingers crossed for my bids on Graceling and Incubus on Ebay! 

xxx

1 comment:

  1. That greek mythology book looks great! Bargain too! I have so many books about greek mythology now its crazy! I just can't resist it all though. I read Graceling a few weeks ago and enjoyed it but then again not so much too. There was just something about it I didn't like but then again I enjoyed other parts. Haha so confusing and writing the review for it is so hard as I just babble constantly whilst trying to get my point of view across!

    I totally agree with you about physical books. I love my kindle and even more now after going on holiday and just realising how great they are for travelling etc. It didn't stop me from buying two books in the airports WHSmith though haha. The Works is lethal too, just too many good books in there for so cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).